Your insurance protection when travelling abroad with your own car

How does obligatory motor insurance work when you travel abroad with your Swedish-registered vehicle?

Motor insurance covers your liability as driver/owner for any damage caused by the vehicle. It also offers compensation to other people ('third parties') for damage to property or personal injury in accordance with tort liability law. In Sweden motor insurance also contains extended protection for the driver of the vehicle and for any passengers who are injured.

When travelling abroad we generally recommend that you take the vehicle's insurance papers and registration certificate with you. This is obligatory in some countries.

Your Swedish motor insurance is valid here

Your Swedish motor insurance is automatically valid in the following countries, this means that you do not need to take any special proof of insurance (Green Card):

Andorra Germany Netherlands
Austria Greece Norway
Belgium Hungary Poland
Bulgaria Ireland Portugal
Croatia Iceland Romania
Cyprus Italy Serbia
Czech Republic Latvia Switzerland
Denmark Liechtenstein Slovakia
Estonia Lithuania Slovenia
Finland Luxembourg Spain
France Malta United Kingdom


You need a Green Card in these countries

If you are going to visit one of the following countries, on the other hand, you must have a Green Card as proof that your vehicle has MTPL insurance. The card shows that your Swedish motor insurance is valid in all the other countries in the Green Card system:

Albania Iran Russia
Azerbaijan Israel Tunisia
Belarus Moldova Turkey
Bosnia and Herzegovina Montenegro Ukraine 
F.Y.R.O.M. Morocco  


Contact your insurance company before travelling and ask them to issue a Green Card for those countries you plan to visit that require a Green Card. If you travel to any of these countries without a Green Card, you will be obliged to take out special motor insurance at the border.

Contact your own insurance company for information on additional protection for damage to your vehicle (physical damage to vehicles insurance), towing assistance etc. (rescue insurance) and other insurance products that may come in useful on your trip abroad.