Swedish Motor Insurers (TFF) is responsible for levying the motor insurance charge

Swedish Motor Insurers (TFF) is a cooperation body for motor insurance companies in Sweden. We have a legal right (Motor Traffic Damage Act, Section 34) to levy a motor insurance charge from persons who own vehicles that are uninsured, but not notified as off road.

TFF receives daily information from the Swedish Transport Agency about vehicles that have been notified as off-road, licensed for use, deregistered or changed owners. We also receive information on new insurance policies taken out and insurance policies that have expired (this data is obtained by the Swedish Transport Agency from insurance companies).

The charge contributes to claims payments

If an uninsured vehicle causes damage, there is no insurance company that can pay compensation. That is when TFF helps. The money we receive from the motor insurance charge contributes to the compensation of people who have been injured or had property destroyed by an uninsured vehicle.

Despite a legal requirement for motor third party liability insurance there are about 50,000 uninsured vehicles in Sweden. That is about one per cent of all vehicles. They cause injury and damage to people or property amounting to several hundred million kronor per year.